Total Pageviews

Translate

Friday, June 22, 2012

Ten Tantamount Commandments Of Teaching!

As I continually reflect on my profession and what to write about to have an impact on all my global colleagues, I remind myself of where I spent the first 19 years of my chosen profession, the classroom!  Many years ago I came across a photocopied list in which was called Ten Terrific Teacher Traits.  It was unsigned and unauthored in the state of receipt. 

     I have held on to this golden piece of literature for years and have shared it with my colleagues in the classroom year in and year out over the last six or seven years.  As I have read and reread these highly commendable if not invaluable pieces of advice,  I have humbly attempted to edit them as well as modify them based on my experiences.  Truthfully, the fundamental gist of each line item remains both relevant and steadfast in its applicability to what happens in classrooms all over the world.  I hope all teachers, especially new and blossoming teachers find these as special as I did while consciously trying to implement them into their practices.  With this said, I do know and realize there have been many articles and similarly books written on the topic, yet I found these as very simple, straightforward and enormously important to being an effective and productive classroom teacher, leader and facilitator regardless of the grade levels or demographics in which you are currently in.  I hope you find them equally as resounding as I did, and I welcome additions to the list (in no particular order of importance);
I.  Always be early, especially before your students arrive.  This demonstrates care, eagerness and enthusiasm...
II.  Learn something new and personal about each of your students as soon as possible.  Do this inconspicuously if at all possible.  This again demonstrates genuine sincerity and caring for your students.
III.  Return assignments, quizzes and tests the next day.  This models and demonstrates to your students that these are learning tools of value, and gives students reasonable instant feedback and reinforcement to evaluate and reevaluate their errs and study habits...
IV.  Do not share personal stories (war stories) unless asked to and reaffirmed by all the students in your class.  Students, whether you want to believe it or not, are basically not interested.  You are not the center of their universe regardless of what you might want to believe.  Do not waste valuable educational and instructional time on unrelated diversions...
V.  Constantly evaluate your effectiveness by always being cognizant and monitoring your student's eyes.  This is the most reliable  indicator of you effectiveness.  If they look confused and or bored, they are!...
VI.  Always be positive and supportive in creating, developing, fostering and nurturing a quality comforting and safe learning climate and environment.  Smile often and never use derogatory or inflammatory comments/remarks toward your students.  Never tell a student to "shut up".  Failing to heed this advice will create both a climate and culture of mistrust which invariably will lead to uncaring and unproductive students under your charge...
VII.  Students do not expect you to be all knowing, so stop worrying about it.  Admit to them frankly and openly when you do not know an answer to their questions.  Tell them you will research it and find out.  Their only true expectations of you is to always be presentable, professional, organized and well prepared...
VIII.  Always exercise equity in your classroom.  Be fair and consistent by laying down fundamental ground rules and expectations.  Stay consistent and clearly and explicitly communicate these often to all stakeholders early and often...
IX.  Do not make assumptions or stereotype any of your students.  Do not scold students for not knowing things in which you would think, and perhaps they should, already know.  It serves no purpose whatsoever and is simply counterproductive.  If ONE does not know, it is likely there is another, if not an entire room full that does not know.  Review when and if necessary in succinct and well organized ways when the need arises.
X.  Always use or attempt to use all available resources at your disposal.  In the likely event it does not exist or is unavailable, make sure you have requested this.  Likewise, regarding commmunication, make yourself available as much as practical and reasonable according to your lifestyle, beyond the normal classroom hours to all stakeholders...
I look forward to my colleagues additions...  PEACE!  



2 comments:

  1. Wow...I really like your concept of 10 commandments of teaching. This is awesome advice and I hope you don't mind if I tweet your blog to others. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words. Please feel free to share with whomever you think might benefit...

    ReplyDelete