Total Pageviews

Translate

Sunday, April 15, 2012

What the Heck is a PLN?

Whether you refer to them as Professional or Personal Learning Networks, there is no mistaking the fact that discovery, involvement and implementation of social media into your own world manifests itself ten-fold into both personal as well as professional growth.  Those who tweet, blog and communicate otherwise via the world wide web all concur it has tremendous advantages.  I like to think of them as being harmonious in nature.

I have been involved with social media for several years but only recently began to learn the power and influence that both blogging and connecting with educators world wide has had on me, both personally and professionally.  To be able to learn at your own pace, in your own desired direction has to me, become invaluable.  It has, without a doubt, been the most rewarding and satisfying of my ventures over the last 24 years as an educator.  All of the innumerable staff development sessions and trainings I have received prior over the years pale in comparison.  

My eyes have always been open to the continued blending and  narrowing  of this vast world via the Internet.  As an avid participant on Twitter, I have been able to get news first hand before it is released to the major networks.  I have learned differing viewpoints, and have greater appreciation and understanding of global issues and problems in which would have taken me years to develop through continued reading and books.   The resources are infinite in which are shared amongst people who are actively involved in social media.  I have had the opportunity, and continue to do so,  develop personal and professional relationships with people whom are regarded as famous and leaders within the realms of their respective fields of expertise.  To that end, even after communicating, exploring and reading what they have to say, you now have the power to collect, store and share these vast amounts of information and resources with whomever you choose and whomever is interested.  One memorable comment made by a distant colleague referred to our continuing inquiry and sharing of information via these forums as a graduate degree in itself, without the cost and time consumption!  All of these advantages, in which takes much time and effort, which many of us unfortunately as professionals do not.

Most of what I have learned involve the topics and issues revolving around leadership and the implementation of 21st century resources in to classrooms.  Additionally, I have gained tremendous knowledge referencing the scope and complexities of political, ethical and moral issues from a global viewpoint Most all of this has come from the perspectives and voices of people who are firsthand in the midst of turmoil and strife. 

Most importantly,  I firmly believe that my persistence and dedication to using and voicing through these mediums have been instrumental in assisting me in procuring my first leadership post at the building level of school administration.  Although never explicitly referenced to, I think in the process of continuing to establish, develop and promote my digital footprint has been invaluable in getting my name out their to both colleagues and potential employers.

I am very interested in what other colleagues and professionals have to say regarding "what the heck is a PLN?"


PEACE 

10 comments:

  1. I have grown tremendously over the last four years because of the network that I have built. I love discovering people who push my thinking. I wrote a similar post back in 2009 and I still feel the same way about my PLN. http://bethstill.edublogs.org/2009/06/09/what-the-heck-is-a-pln/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beth! I still believe they go hand in hand within especially the education arena... Remeber, and many schools/districts still advocate the "PLC" as in Professional Learning Community! What an extension PLN's are of those!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Bill. I feel I am a newbie when it comes to my online PLN (just really discovering Twitter about a 1 1/2 years ago.). My own learning has taken off due to the many conversations I have had with my Twitter #4thchat, #D5chat #elemchat #elemsci chat' friends. I am energized to try new things knowing if they don't work out I have a vast resource that will help me figure out 'why'. Those very same individuals are also there to celebrate the successes and excitement of new learning. Sharing via social media has made a world of difference - to me and therefore, to my students as they are the true recipients of all that is good with my PLN! In one word - my social media PLN is INVALUABLE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy for the feedback. I really don't know where I fall on the tech literacy scale? One day I feel as though I am a proficient, yet when I see another great resources blog or website I think I am an infant! :(

      Delete
  4. Terrific blog post Bill! I could not agree more with the power of a PLN. I often say that the 10 people who influence me the most..... I have never met. Being connected is INVALUABLE! Continue to share your experiences as I do the same. Once educators change their behavior and try social media such as twitter, they will change their belief! Thanks for this post. Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Shawn for the mention and RT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post Bill. Think about how much you've learned with SM and what kind of motivation and thinking it took to make that learning happen. That is what we need to teach our students to be able to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Curt,
      Sorry for the late reply.... SM is, and will become, an imperative component in every progressive classroom in the world. The potential in my opinion is unlimited to increase srtudent learning and perhaps most importantly curiosity and discovering. They will then begin to understand and learn the value and impportance of establishing their own digital footprints in the world. Yours in the fight brother...

      Delete
  7. Yes Curt. It is called self discipline and persistence. We often talk the talk yet do not walk the walk!? It is my, and our commitment, to be a lifelong learner. How many vision and mission statements have we seen connected to school referencing this? Yours in the fight...

    ReplyDelete